Ingredients (makes 6):
10ml hot water
200ml fresh milk
10g sugar - x ltk sbb mcm dh manis jerk! (K.Nor tak letak gak)
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 egg yolks
- Caramel: Melt sugar in a sauce pan, stir until golden brown. Once it starts bubbling, stir in hot water then remove from heat.
- Lightly grease the moulds, then fill each mould with about 1 teaspoon of caramel. Swirl the mould to coat bottom of mould when the caramel is still hot. Set aside for later use.
- Custard: Bring together milk and sugar, bring to boil on low heat then stir in vanilla essence. Turn the heat off and set aside for later use.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk eggs with sugar. Then pour in milk in stream, whisk rapidly until well blended.
- Sift the mixture then fill each mould with mixture, and steam on low heat for 15-20 minutes. If using oven, place moulds in a tray then fill tray with water. Cover moulds with aluminium foil. Bake at preheated oven, 140ºC for 25-30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, let puddings stay in the steamer or oven for further 10 minutes.
- Chill before serving.
To produce smooth texture custard, the mixture must be sifted to remove bubbles then pour into mould gently.